Malaren is Zerio’s better half, he also does a billion times more damage… mind you not because he’s better but because he’s a fucking OP DK. And don’t DKs make you sick because they have more acronyms than letters in their names?! Do you have running from them in PvP just to get yanked back?! Do you want them DEAD (again)!
What I meant to say is that Mal is an awesome guy. He has also put more work into his Rez of the Week than I’ve ever seen before. Granted, some of it might be falsified but I haven’t been able to prove it. Mainly because its written in Death-Knightese and I can’t decipher that.
YOU’LL RUE THE DAY MALAREN!
Without further ado…
Class: Death Knight
Where are you from: Born in Germany – currently reside in Hampton, VA
Would you consider yourself… hardcore:
I guess so. I’ve come a long way since WotLK was released. Ever since I really got into WoW, I started spending about 40 hours/week playing. So, I’ve never been casual, I was just a bad player (I hate the casual vs. hardcore argument). Over the past couple tiers of raid content I started min/maxing and using spreadsheets and simulators (more on that below).
Main Raid Spec / Dual Spec:
My raid spec as of today is 14/0/57 (this will most likely change to when 3.3.3 hits). My dual spec is 0/15/56. I decided I was gonna be Unholy once they made the announcement of what the three specs for the class were gonna be and I’ve never been anything else.
[Editor’s Note: This was written prior to 3.3.3 coming out. His current talent spec is actually this.]
What do you use your offspec for:
My off-spec includes Improved Unholy Presence, On A Pale Horse and Icy Talons. It’s my “faster” spec for when I’m out questing, doing dailies, and farming raid supplies.
How long have you been playing:
I’ve been playing WoW for 3 years and 2 months.
What about WoW keeps you coming back:
The many incarnations of Zerio and Eragon(Hawk). Zerio’s my “Lil’ Man” and Hawk has been our BFF for about 2 ½ years.
Has WoW taught you anything you’ve applied to IRL:
Sometimes you have to rely on other people in order to accomplish your goals. Not really something I “applied to IRL”, more so a life lesson.
If you had to reroll…
Would you choose the same thing: Absolutely!!
Why: In my Unholy DK, I found everything I ever wanted to a class.
- Plate wearer – When I had my Enhance Shaman in TBC, I was widely known for pulling agro and dying. [Still do.]
- Melee Pet Class – I tried to level several hunters and warlocks, but I hate being ranged. I like to be in my enemies face when I kill them and I love having a companion.
- On A Pale Horse – I was always envious of Paladins for Crusader Aura, and I’m still mad that we have to spec into our version of it.
- Improved Unholy Presence – I likes to move fast. I wouldn’t need a second spec if I could put OaPH and IUP in my raid spec without hurting my DPS.
- Rotation that takes effort – I was so bored on my Shaman in TBC when we didn’t have to move. I literally stood there and hit 3-4 buttons and that included Totem Twisting. Same reason I dropped my Ret Pally around level 65. It was too easy. Everything just fell over and died and all I had to do was push whichever button lit up first. [For a DKs rotation see Zerio’s Rez, just scroll down to Rotation.]
- DoT’s – My opponent gets to suffer in between hits from my massive 2H’er. Plus I love that my strikes work together with my DoT’s to deal more damage.
- Deathstrike – I always play hybrids because I like to be able to heal myself. I love that I can heal and do damage at the same time.
- Resource System – Couldn’t get the hang of rage or energy, and I am bad at managing mana. Between my Runic Power and Runes, I can fight all day long. The system really works well together so that you can always do something.
- Utility – My second favorite thing about my Shaman was that I brought so much utility. While I don’t bring as much on Malaren, I still bring some good stuff like Horn of Winter and Ebon Plague.
Best Raid Moment:
Probably downing Sindragosa this past Sunday. There were only 3 of us left alive (well, a 4th person in an ice block) and the boss was at about 3%. I almost died myself, but I popped my Herbalism heal, a health pot and was trying to keep my DoT’s on her while I used Deathstrike to help survice. My heart was beating so fast when the bitch finally died, lol. It was probably the most intense experience I’ve ever had in WoW.
Favorite Raid Mod:
DBM. A lot of people take this game for granted and say that it’s so easy. To those people I say try raiding without mods and then tell me how easy it is. Some of these fights have so much going on at one time, like phase 3 Putricide, that even with DBM, I have a hard time paying attention to everything.
Favorite Boss Encounter:
Probably Rotface. It has a decent amount of “Patchwerk”, but it also has a good amount of situational awareness and personal responsibility.
What Food / Flasks do you use:
If I had time to farm raid supplies that week then I use Dragonfin Filet for myself and Spiced Mammoth Treats for my pet. I use Flask of Endless Rage, Indestructible Potions and Potions of Speed.
For the sake of brevity I use this first macro for Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Scourge Strike, Death Strike, Death Coil
[Editor’s Note: Brevity is when you are breathing against gravity.]
- To auto attack if my special attack is not ready when I hit the button
- To be able to cast Bone Shield without messing up my rotation
#showtooltip Bone Shield
/cast Blood Tap
/cast Bone Shield
/cancelaura Blood Tap
- Death Grips my target, slows it down and announces that my ass needs saving
#showtooltip Death Grip
/cast Death Grip
/cast Chains of Ice
/say I’m Death Gripping %t, please taunt off of me.
- Boosts my haste so that my Gargoyle’s haste is increased as well
#showtooltip Summon Gargoyle
/use potion of speed
/cast Summon Gargoyle
- If one interrupt is on cooldown, it’ll try to use the other one.
#showtooltip Mind Freeze
/cast Mind Freeze
- Tailored to the encounter so I don’t have to change targets
#showtooltip Chains of Ice
/cast Chains of Ice
- Single Target: Icy Touch – Plague Strike – Blood Strike – Blood Strike – Scourge Strike – Death Coil – Horn of Winter – Scourge Strike – Death Coil – Scourge Strike – Scourge Strike
- AoE: Icy Touch – Plague Strike – Pestilence – Death and Decay – Death Coil – Horn of Winter – Scourge Strike – Death Coil – Blood Strike – Blood Boil – Scourge Strike
What resources do you use to stay current on your class:
Any tips for playing your class:
- Don’t Death Grip a mob unless you’re told to or you know you can trust the tank to get the mob off of you before you die.
- Don’t use Army of the Dead in 5-man’s.
- Don’t gem for spellpower. [Everyone knows DKs need mp5, duh.]
- Take advantage of Anti-Magic Shell.
- Use Empower Rune Weapon if you mess up your rotation.
If you could be a mythical creature, What would it be: Icarus
Why: I always wished I had the ability to fly and I like feathery wings – minus the wax.